This blog is about my research and what I am interested in. I will keep updating new information. Hope all of you enjoy it.

2008/01/15

Object memory and change detection: Dissociation as a function of visual and conceptual similarity

Yeh, Y.-Y., & Yang, C.-T. (2008). Object memory and change detection: Dissociation as a function of visual and conceptual similarity. Acta Psychologica, 127(1), 114-128.
Abstract:
People often fail to detect a change between two visual scenes, a phenomenon referred to as change blindness. This study investigates how a post-change object's similarity to the pre-change object influences memory of the pre-change object and affects change detection. The results of Experiment 1 showed that similarity lowered detection sensitivity but did not affect the speed of identifying the pre-change object, suggesting that similarity between the pre- and post-change objects does not degrade the pre-change representation. Identification speed for the pre-change object was faster than naming the new object regardless of detection accuracy. Similarity also decreased detection sensitivity in Experiment 2 but improved the recognition of the pre-change object under both correct detection and detection failure. The similarity effect on recognition was greatly reduced when 20% of each pre-change stimulus was masked by random dots in Experiment 3. Together the results suggest that the level of pre-change representation under detection failure is equivalent to the level under correct detection and that the pre-change representation is almost complete. Similarity lowers detection sensitivity but improves explicit access in recognition. Dissociation arises between recognition and change detection as the two judgments rely on the match-to-mismatch signal and mismatch-to-match signal, respectively.

My note:
This article focuses on the pre-change memory under change blindness.

The similarity between pre- and post-change objects was manipulated. Similarity did not degrade the change detection performance. By using a perceptual identification task (Exp 1), a repetition priming effect for the pre-change object was observed regardless of the similarity.

Similarity improves the pre-change recognition memory in Experiment 2. The similarity benefit effect was reduced when 20 % of each pre-change object was masked.

Similarity lowers detection sensitivity but improves explicit access in recognition.

沒有留言:

About Me

我的相片
I am Yang Cheng-Ta. I am a assistant professor at the department of psychology and institute of cognitive science, National Cheng Kung University (NCKU). I graduated from National Taiwan University (NTU). My supervisors were Prof. Yeh Yei-Yu and Prof. Hsu Yung-Fong. My major is cognitive psychology and mathematical psychology. My research interests are human attention and memory. My research topic is about why people cannot detect a change in the visual environment which is so-called “change Blindness”. I investigate the mechanism underlying change detection and how people make a correct detection decision. I am also interested in the mathematical modeling of human behavior. Besides, I like to play volleyball, go to gym, and swim when I am free. I also like to listen to the Chinese opera and still keep learning it. These are brief descriptions about me. If you are interested in me or share interests with me, contact with me at yangct@mail.ncku.edu.tw.